Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Bartering


Today I thought I would write about "Bartering". This is a method of exchange, using goods instead of money. This system has been used for centuries, since before the invention of money. During the days of Colonial America, people used to barter things like furs, muskets, perfumes and silks. Today the barter system is still used in many countries all around the world.

 Much like it was during the depression times, today people are struggling to make ends meet financially, so bartering only makes sense. For some folks it may be for agricultural items, while for others it may be for services such as dental or eyecare. It really is becoming quite popular.


A couple of weeks ago I bartered with a friend. I gave her some rhubarb and she gave me a jar of relish and a jar of blueberry jam. THANKS JANICE!  My sister and I have been bartering for a while now. She has chickens, and I always need eggs, so we barter with each other. I make lots of jams, jellies, pie fillings, pickles, relishes, breads and such, but my sister doesn't, so we barter. It works for both of us. It's a win, win situation.

I really love this idea, and I think you're going to see a lot more people using the barter system. What do you have that you could barter with someone? Maybe it's just some much needed time or a skill? Everyone has something and everyone needs something, so try it out. You'll be hooked!

Blessings,
Julie

1 comment:

  1. I found a blog that has meetings like our Keepers meetings, and they were bartering food. She had pictures of homemade cookies, cakes, jams, pickles etc. I think that would be fun.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, so leave me a comment below and let me know where you are from!

The Potager Garden

Good morning folks! It's another cool rainy day, here in Northern Maine. Our long winter has turned into a long, cold spring. Let's...