Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Repurposing Some Really Great Finds....

I just love finding old things at yard sales or flea markets and repurposing them. Today thought I would show you a few of my finds and how I repurposed them.

This is one of my favorites! I found this old bread box at a church rummage sale. As you can see, I already sanded it down and got it all ready for painting.

BEFORE:


 
AFTER:

 
I love how it came out! I think it would be a great bill pay/mail center. Everything can be tucked away and out of site when your not using it. I put this in my sale last fall and it was one of the first things that sold. I have to admit that I was secretly hoping it wouldn't sell, so I could keep it for myself. LOL!
 
This was another bread box that I tackled. It was pretty ugly, so I knew it was perfect for repurposing.
 
BEFORE:

 
AFTER:
 
 
I wish I would have taken a picture of it open, so I could show you the inside. I left the other side of the door unpainted, so that it can be used as a cutting board. Primitive and functional.
 
Okay, so how many yard sales have you gone to and they always have these old pictures that people are trying get rid of? I've seen lots of them in free boxes. Well next time you see one, go ahead and grab it. You don't have to like the picture, just make sure that the glass and frame are in good shape. This is one I bought for next to nothing. It was quite faded, but the glass and frame were in perfect condition.
 
BEFORE:
 
 
And just look at it now....
 
AFTER:
 
 
All I did was paint the old blue frame with some black craft paint, sanded it down a bit to make it look worn. Then I took the old picture out and replaced it with a calendar page. This is a great way to repurpose those old calendars that have really great pictures, but get thrown out once the year is through. This frame was quite large, so I just used some coordinating fabric from my stash as a background. Perfect for hanging over our mantle throughout the winter season.
 
I think we all remember the time where everyone decorated with geese and the colors blue and mauve. They were all the rage at one time. How does that saying go again? "Out with the old and in with the new old".  LOL! That is exactly what happened with this little goose.
 
BEFORE:
 
 
 
When I first saw this little guy, I knew exaclty what I was going to do with him. You can kinda see where I got a bit excited and made my cuts in the wood already. OOPS! I just pieced it back together to get the before picture that I just knew I had to have.
 
AFTER:
 
 
This looks so much better now!
 
Well, I hope I inspired you to repurpose some of your really great finds. Next time you visit a yard sale or flea market don't look at what the item is, look at it for what it could be.  You'll be amazed at your own creativity!
 
Blessings,
Julie
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Julie... Great ideas! They all turned out perfectly. I love to do things like this ...although I don't seem to find the time lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susannah! I wish we lived closer. I'd love to visit with you. Does a nice cup of tea and some chocolate chip squares sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to visit with you, too. I did not realize that you live way up north in beautiful Maine.....next to New Brunswick (where Faye lives) I live way down here near south of Rochester, New York and North of the Finger Lakes..... right in the middle there. You can see it all on a map from google.

    But, yes, hot tea and a chocolate chip square would be delish and we could talk away the afternoon! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am about 3 hours from Faye. I wanted to get up there so bad this summer, but life happens.
    I just got a new shipment of tea. An afternoon of visiting with you would be wonderful!
    Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh.. Perhaps we all could meet midway.. Where would that be?
    New Hampshire?? grin....
    Love love your makeovers...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Faye! What a fabulous girls trip that would be! We could meet up and drive to NH together. So much fun...and how beautiful it would be this time of year! Are you ready Susannah?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am ready!!! Jim says we are ready and he will bring me there! Me with my Fibromyalgia...I might not be able to keep up with you two. But I sure would like to try! Oh, what a fun time it would be!

    I just happened to come back to your comments right now - Monday-10:15PM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm ready too! Wouldn't it be great? Bring your apple pie!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, so leave me a comment below and let me know where you are from!

The Potager Garden

Good morning folks! It's another cool rainy day, here in Northern Maine. Our long winter has turned into a long, cold spring. Let's...