Monday, January 27, 2014

A Recipe and Our Pantry....



002
 
I decided to make some muffins this morning. The recipe can be found here.  I did use fresh strawberries though, instead of the cranberries. This recipe is from a blog I read often, called "Mennonite Girls Can Cook".  They have some really wonderful recipes there.
 
Do you remember the chicken broth I was making? Well it ended up turning into this….
 
006
 
A nice chicken stew. My husbands idea. He loves homemade soups and stews. I have to say…it really was delicious. I used some of our dehydrated vegetables in it, and I think that made it even tastier!
 
 
 
There is still a little bit of stew left, so I think I’ll make a some mini chicken pot pies with it. My favorite thing to do with leftover stew.
 
I’ve been busy working on my pantry lately. There is still more shelving that needs to go up, but that will come with time. My brother is doing the work for us and he does have a fulltime job and a wonderful family to tend to, so I don’t hurry him. He’s been doing a great job for us! Thank you Christopher!
 
005
 
010
 
011
 
He is such a multi-talented man! He actually works at refurbishing vehicles, although I think he can do anything. He did tell me that this is definitely not something he loves doing. I’m so glad he loves his sister.
 
This is what our pantry looks like now. I’m in the process of making some curtains to hang below the counters. I also still have to poly the countertops, but I’m waiting for all the shelving to be completely finished.
 
You can click on any one of these photos to enlarge them, if you like.
 
004
 
005
 
I love our 1800’s cast iron sink. We bought it from a lady in Kittery, Me.
 
006
 
007
 
This is a close up of the 1920’s gumball machine shown in the previous picture. My husband bought it at an antique sale a couple years ago. I wonder if they still sell gumballs in large packages?
 
004
 
This old cupboard belonged to my husband’s grandmother. It's the perfect addition to our pantry.
 
010 
 
The cupboard folds down into a bread board.
 
005
 
Did you know that you can use the covers from parmesan cheese containers on your wide mouth mason jars? I use them on my half pint jars for bulk spices and herbs.
 
006
 
009
 
008
 
This is a picture that I have had for many years. It belonged to my husband’s mother. I just love it, so I hung it up in the pantry. Seems like the perfect place, don't you think?!
 
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s post. It’s just a kind of mishmash of stuff, but sometimes that’s how my brain seems to work. (smile)
Have a lovely day!
 
Blessings,
Julie

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I have always dreamed of having one since I was a little girl. Isn't that odd? LOL! My aunt had a butler's pantry that I remember playing in. I had never seen such a thing and told myself I would have a pantry when I grew up. I am thrilled that dream came true!
      Hope you are warm!
      Julie

      Delete
  2. The pantry looks great, Chris is doing a fantastic job! I love the rest of the pictures also, everything has come together so perfect! Will have to stop by for a visit soon, and maybe a sewing lesson with my new sewing machine?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, baby girl! You need to come see it in person, and a sewing lesson would be fun!

    Love you!
    Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. You need to come see it! I can't wait for Christopher to finish the rest of the shelving. I'm having a lot of fun organizing it.
      Hugs,
      Julie

      Delete

I love hearing from you, so leave me a comment below and let me know where you are from!

The Potager Garden

Good morning folks! It's another cool rainy day, here in Northern Maine. Our long winter has turned into a long, cold spring. Let's...